Patient Sitter - MEDICAL-SURGICAL
varied Hours per Pay
- CPR Required
- 1-2 yrs experience preferred
- Position Summary
- The Patient Care Sitter assists the nursing staff to provide a safe environment of one to one observation for the patient who is at risk to harm self (i.e. falls). The Patient Sitter/observation assistant documents every fifteen minutes on the patient's condition, and communicates immediately to nursing or medical personnel any change in the patient, or if assistance is needed. This employee works under the direction of the RN in charge of the patient.
High School Graduate or equivalent GED.
Demonstrate ability to recognize and communicate changes (i.e. patient status and significant other issues to the accountable nurse).
High level of interpersonal communication skills to relate to patient, hospital staff, and visitors.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, ability to learn simple documentation desirable.
Previous experience with ill patients and/or confused patients in a hospital setting preferred.
MOAB within 6 months of hire.
- Essential Functions of the Job
- Required skills and competencies. Has competency checklist been completed with all competencies met (i.e. job skills / knowledge, equipment knowledge)?
- Remain in constant attendance with the patient, except as relieved by nursing staff.
- Monitor and observe the patient's behavior and condition and report any change immediately to nursing staff assigned to the patient.
- May read, play cards or games and/or interact with the patient.
- If the patient requires physical restraint the sitter is not expected to restrain the patient. Instead, they should obtain immediate assistance from nursing.
- Communicate effectively with the patient, family, and staff.
- Notify nursing of any patient needs.
- Under the direction and supervision of the accountable nurse the sitter may feed the patient, assist the patient in ambulating and positioning, assist in the use of a bed pan or urinal, assist nursing staff with positioning when nursing is bathing or arranging bed linen.
- Identify actual and potential hazards and report them to the nursing staff.
- Follows directions per nursing staff relative to patient.
- Maintains patient privacy and dignity.
- Aware of own actions that may affect patients, families, visitors, or other employees.
- Manages time effectively to ensure that deadlines are met and that personal priorities support organizational objectives.
- Attending Management of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB) training.
- Expresses disagreements through proper channels and in an appropriate and professional manner.
- Presents a neat appearance.
- Adapts, is flexible, learns new tasks readily, and responds well to change.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Patient Sitter with LNA /RMA:Provides ADL's for patient.
- Ambulate patient PRN.
- Obtain VS, Chem sticks or other tasks within LNA scope of practice providing it does not require that they leave attendance of the patient.